4.20.2004

all three of my boys have a special gift...

Some would relate it to discernement. I really think it's just a matter of sonship. Ironically, it was Zion utilizing the gift that tipped me off to the other three.

When you have 3 children, you find extremely efficent ways of doing things. The most efficent way to get 3 boys ready for bed is to put the two younger ones in the tub while the elder brother showers. Operating this carcass-wash procedure, I can wash 3 boys in 11 minutes and 45 seconds, if necessary. Every timed event has a potential snag - think of it as the guy dropping the lug nut in the NASCAR pit stop. The turbobath has potential to break down at one point....when it's time to get out of the tub. Zion rarely bails out on first request. He loves the water, loves the suds, and loves the fun.

A few weeks ago, I announced "Okay, boys...hop out and dry off." This is usually Z's signal to complain. Instead, he politely asked "Poppa, can I stay in?"

I was impressed (but not moved) by his tone of voice. "Thanks for asking so nicely, Bub, but it's time to get out."

Nothing prepared me for what came out next from that 2 1/2 year old: "You're the best dad in the whole wide world. C'MON!!!! The inferrence was obvious...gimme a few minutes here, dad! I melted. He stayed. Now, "You're the best dad in the whole world, C'mon!" has become a joke around the house any time the guys want to do something.

Reflecting on that incident, I was just reading Matthew 7:9-11: " Which of you, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? If you, then, though you are evil, now how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him."

I'm not sure what you're needing this morning, but He's a good father. You're a son or daughter. Be bold and ask.

----

On a side note, we have a truckload of IHOPers heading to Icthus this weekend. Mike Bickle is speaking Saturday evening, and they've turned the worship tent pretty much over to Forerunner Music's artists.

No comments: