5.28.2007

on the nightstand....

My reading has been erratic for the past few months and I haven't liked it much. We're in a very busy season right now but I'm trying to be more intentional with every moment. With that in mind, these are the two books I'm reading right now...

O Jerusalem!
by Larry Collins & Dominique Lapierre

There truly is no city on earth like Jerusalem. Claimed as holy by three major religions, it has been a place of conflict for centuries. Collins and Lapierre give enough broad strokes to understand the essential conflict, and enough specifics to keep it about people.

I've learned more about the city in reading this book than I ever did in four years of Bible college or countless conferences. It's well written, full of fascinating characters, and sobering to read as you come to grips with just how hotly contested the city is - and that no one will loosen their grip without being forced.



The Elegant Universe: Superstrings, Hidden Dimensions and the Quest for the Ultimate Theory
By Brian Green

This is a great book to leave on the coffee table, because people reading it are going to assume you're smart. The hidden truth is that Green is fantastic at breaking down complex theories with simple illustrations. I now understand more about the theory of relativity than I ever thought I could. Just don't ask me to explain it.

I'm still early in the book, which is ramping up from the theory of relativity to superstring theory. I can give you superstring theory in a nutshell: Atoms > Electrons > Protons/Neutrons > Quarks > Superstrings.

Now, what I don't have time to do tonight but will do soon - watch the blog, because I'm dead serious - is connect Superstring theory to the prayer movement.

PS: Am I the only one still staring at the webstream in astonishment? It's amazing!

3 comments:

Esther Irwin said...

It's great, Randy! I'm watching it!! and watching it...and watching it... I should be working...

Ronni Hall said...

your not the only one... I left it on when I left the house and came home... hmmmm....

... I think I could live in that room forever.....

Tracie said...

No the website almost makes me what to cry! You know I'm here. I can go the prayer room. Technically. But then you factor in tiny little chubby baby and other facets of life; and some days that just doesn't work.

The webstream was like a million dollar gift to me yesterday! REALLY! and I live 5 minutes away!

Plus don't you just love the play back feature! CHOICES folks! How cool is that!