1.02.2003

Uh oh.
There are certain passages in the Book that grip me. Don't get sidetracked debating the validity of one portion over another - I know it's all good...it's just that there are parts that I read that go ZZZZiiiing! every time. Most notably, the whole cotten pickin' book of Daniel. I'll be the first to admit that I don't understand it, and the first to assert that you don't either - but man, there's stuff in there that stirs me. Here's just one -

Daniel 10:7,8
I, Daniel, was the only one who saw the vision; the men with me did not see it, but such terror overwhelmed them that they fled and hid themselves. So I was left alone, gazing at this great vision; I had no strength left, my face turned deathly pale and I was helpless.


Here, the poor guy is having one of the most intense God-moments of his life, and he's the only one who's living in that reality. No one else sees it, but what he's going through freaks them out and he was left alone, gazing at this great vision. I think any time God plops something in your lap that involves going to the next level of intimacy with him, initially, you perceive it alone. Your buddies bail on you. You can't blame them, they're just not where you are at the time. Heaven knows I've had some wonderful people become overwhelmed with terror when I have so much as described what I'm seeing at the time, and I've probably bailed on a few folks myself.

There's something about being a visionary that dictates that you're going to walk certain portions of the road all by yourself.

Daniel 10:14-19

Now I have come to explain to you what will happen to your people in the future, for the vision concerns a time yet to come."
While he was saying this to me, I bowed with my face toward the ground and was speechless. Then one who looked like a man touched my lips, and I opened my mouth and began to speak. I said to the one standing before me, "I am overcome with anguish because of the vision, my lord, and I am helpless. How can I, your servant, talk with you, my lord? My strength is gone and I can hardly breathe."
Again the one who looked like a man touched me and gave me strength. "Do not be afraid, O man highly esteemed," he said. "Peace! Be strong now; be strong."
When he spoke to me, I was strengthened and said, "Speak, my lord, since you have given me strength."


Hang in there, visionaries. You were made to do this before the foundations of the world were set in place.

Kelsey's hope from the conference this evening. Wonderful to have her back...the boys agree. Perhaps we can get to some state of normal again.

No comments: