9.17.2008

Hear ye, Hear ye.

I received an iPod for my 39th birthday. I have used it multiple times every day in the 2+ years since. I listen to a fair amount of music but have also become an absolute podcast fiend.

People sometimes ask what podcasted sermons I listen to. Confession time: Almost zero. Back in the late eighties and early nineties, when I was finishing college and starting out in ministry, I made a conscious effort not to listen to a lot of preaching. I was watching people listen to others and, in their formative years, quickly beginning to mimic their heroes. I wanted to find my own rhythm to speak by, which probably explains some of my quirkiness while teaching. It does not explain my quirkiness the rest of the time.

That said, here are a two podcasts that I don't miss and why...

Learn out Loud's Great Speeches in History
Throughout history, there have been iconic speeches by politicians and others. This podcast has recently carries such classics as MLK's I have a Dream, Nixon's Checker's Speech, and Newton Minow's 1961 Television is a Vast Wasteland. These speeches were history makers and you need to hear them to be a well rounded individual.

The Moth
The Moth is a storytelling venue in NYC. It features authors, celebrities, and regular people telling stories from their life. One week, it's techno artist Moby...the next week, it's the Manhattan cab driver....and you never know who's good until the dust clears.

The rules are thus - in front of a live audience, and without notes. The stories are often hilarious, and the audiences very kind.

The Moth is a diamond in the rough. Listening to it, you're reminded that public speaking is generally ranked high on things people fear, and these people are not professional story tellers. You actually find yourself on edge along with them, hoping they pull it out and loving it when they do.

Disclaimer - a few of the Moth podcasts contain inappropriate language but are clearly marked EXPLICIT on the podcast and easily avoided.

Second Disclaimer - I would LOVE to speak at The Moth!

No comments: