8.23.2007

Spooling Down

When Kelsey and I were married, her father owned a Saab 900 Turbo coupe. It was gun metal gray with a black spoiler and leather interior. To a 21 year old car nut who grew up in North Dakota, it was as exotic as a Ferrari.

This little car was really an engineering marvel. It had a small, turbocharged 4 cylinder motor that allowed it to get great gas mileage and still provide gobs of power when called upon. Without getting into the mechanics of how or why, the turbo would continue to spin for three or four minutes after it had been engaged. A problem would arise if you were to engage the turbo and suddenly shut off the engine, as the turbo spun at 10,000 rpm or faster. Shutting the engine off would cause the oil to drain from the turbo while it was still spinning. Do this a few times and K-Blooooey...the bearings in the turbo would seize.

The remedy was to allow the turbo to spool down a little bit...sit in the parking lot for a few minutes to allow all the moving parts to slow down before shutting off the engine. It was irritating, but well worth the money saved in turbo repair.

Tonight, for the first time in a while, I let my brain spool down. We've been running hard. TheCall. Omega. The Daniel Academy. Vacation (which was a riot, and riots are never restful). My head races from 5am until midnight with things like 'how do I translate this into spanish?' and 'where can I get a forklift?' and 'how much are plane tickets to Traverse City, MI' and 'please tell me that venue is air conditioned...".

Tonight, I sat on the deck and listened to the cicadas. I didn't read. I didn't listen to my iPod. I just let my brain spool down....and it felt really, really good.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yep, I've had one of those K-Blooooeys happen to ME! Too much drive, no spooling down (a la Mark 6:30-32) - lost my bearings immediately! :)

Esther Irwin said...

Think the amount of coffee you drink has anything to do with it? I'm just saying...

steven hamilton said...

mmmm...spooling good...

Randy Bohlender said...

Note to self: Block Kiwi ISP's ASAP.

Anonymous said...

Wow- there is a tear actually trickling down my cheek - my oil is defintely draining and I am in dire need of spooling down. How do we get on this great hamster wheel of life- all GOOOOD things, and good things for the kingdom,and then forget how to leap off in mid-spin? How to spool down your brain and listen to the cicadas and do NOTHING... Thanks for the reminder to do a big bunch of NOTHING this weekend.

Anita and Bruce Hensley said...

back home on the rez that's what staring at the camp fire was all about. lot's of people, no talk, just spooling.

Unknown said...

What's in Traverse City for ya? That place is beautiful!