2.04.2007

The Stuper Bowl is over.

I heard that the Colts won. I heard this from my son, Jackson, who in all likelihood did not know before today that the Colts were playing.

We are not football fans. We are not baseball fans. We are not ball fans.

We are not a sports minded tribe.

We like buttons and gizmos and adapters and touchscreens and rechargables and wifi. We like books and magazines and G2 Pilots and molekines. We like cool gear bags and funky shoes, but we are not a sportsminded tribe.

We like roadmaps and GPS and cup holders big enough for Big Gulps. We like Southwest and Starbucks and the latest in Mac Books, but we are not a sports minded tribe.

We like eclectic cd's and candles and heavy laden dinner tables circled by good friends, weekends working the leaf blower and early mornings in the prayer room, but we are not a sports minded tribe.

So forgive us, Oh Ye Colts. Forgive us, Peyton Manning. Had we not lived in Tennessee, we would not know your name, and even that we now know it is a bit of a curiosity to us, because even though we know, we care not.

For we are not a sports minded tribe.
Disclaimer: Kelsey played olympic level softball for years. Well, maybe not olympic level, but I will say that when she would wing the ball in from her short stop position, you did not want to have to catch it...not because she'd throw wild, but because she'd drill the catcher against the backstop and leave their mitt smoking like a cheap Camel in the bowling alley parking lot. But alas, she married in to a tribe that neither threw nor caught with accuracy, and has raised boys who would rather calculate the vector at which the ball is likely to glance off the house than actually throw or catch it.

13 comments:

Kelsey Bohlender said...

Speak for yourself, Farm Boy. I love softball, baseball (especially the Bowie Baysocks!), tetherball and tennis! And my side of the tribe used to have blow out SuperBowl parties. Who dey!

Randy Bohlender said...

Honey, your side of the family threw those blow out parties every weekend. The fact that one was on Super Bowl weekend was sort of inevitable.

And TETHERBALL? Oh man. Flood of bad memories of bent glasses and splitting headaches on that one.

Anonymous said...

WHO DEY!!!

.... *sorry couldn't help myself*


pst... I also prefer a good DVD to the pre-game show... we watched "RENT"... LOL

ChriS & Yvette Ferguson said...

R.B.,

I have be accused of being "UN-AMERICAN" because I could care less about such things ending with ball. I'll play ball with my kids but watching the stuff on tv, I'd rather suffer a root canal.

In fact I have tried to watch a couple of Super Bowls just so I could "look cool". I always got myself in too deep saying something that let others knew I didn't football from soccer.

I've tried to watch a game for the social value...fellowship-or the spiritual values...relevance! Never works for me!

Now I look for any excuse to get together with friends, family, and alliens but a "Ball" game on TV is not one of them.

So my S.B. strategy is to listen to the news report. Watch the commercials online the next day and try to change the subject before I speak of touch downs, goals, baskets, or love. I think Mike told us it was all about love.

Tracie said...

We "watched" (word used loosely) the GAME. And I realized in the 4th quarter, I didn't know who was playing! Oops! I tuned in for commercials, which can sometimes be fun, but they were quite boring this year, so I quickly lost interest with all on the big screen.

I spent my time chatting with women about babies, breast feeding, water consumption, home schooling...

We left with 9 minutes left in the game in order to adhere to our strict lifestyle bedtime!

Wanna play Frisbee anyone?

Randy Bohlender said...

Tracie, your frisbee playing skills are legendary. Like the French Military tradition.

Anonymous said...

Okay. I admit it. I watched 4 hours of GREASE auditons on NBC to avoid anything that had a sports theme. I knew the Chicago Somebodies were playing but I wasn't sure WHO they were playing. Now I see it was Indy - and I don't think I KNEW they had a football team.... We are artsy people - give us a good game of Scrabble and some showtunes and our night is complete. Maybe we'll start serving chicken wings and cheering loudly with each triple letter score??? Who Dey, indeed...

Randy Bohlender said...

This blog is SO read by party animals.

steven hamilton said...

yeah for the Bowie Baysocks!

peace

Emily Meagan said...

Don't feel bad, I was at a Super Bowl party at my singles' pastors' house and didn't know who was playing till after half time. I just go to enjoy the friends and the food - and laugh at the fact that while 30 people are watching the game, there are four or five of us in the kitchen listening to worship music and singing.

Chuck Scott said...

I thought the SB had already happened. I hope I am more attentive for a tornado.

Anonymous said...

Well, I have to confess that I really WANTED to watch the Colts bust the Bears, but we had our little global bridegroom fast meeting Sunday night here in Cincy. We were the faithful few, let me tell you. (I did make it home for the 4th quarter...)

Anonymous said...

Hey! I'm a party animal! I can do soduku, study heurmenutics, update my ipod, update my palm, and sing along to collective soul all at the same time! If that isn't a party what IS?

...okay I'm a nerd...

...but at least I'm a mile from a Skyline Chili........