8.27.2004

The travels begin....

With Burning Man looming to the distant west, I loaded up my tribe and sent them east in the S.S. Family Truckster. Kels left with the boys this morning for St Louis, Nashville, and greater metro Piney Flats. The truck was piled high with essentials like bottled water, dvd's and the coveted audio splitter that allows two little boys to listen while forcing the third to yell "What's happening! Tell me what's happening!". Never mind that they've seen the movie so many times that they can recite the lines....

I worked 'til late into the night organizing menus and shopping lists - with direction from Kels, of course. I can only imagine what it would be like without her...."Beef jerky? CHECK! Pork Rinds?" CHECK! "Forty two cases of moch frappacino?" CHECK! "Let's roll...." Instead, we've got grilled chicken salad, tempeh tacos, etc. Once again, our camp will be most popular around meal times. Thanks to Chef Boy R Kevin, the 2000 trip saw dozens of burners wander in asking "Hey, what are you EATING!?!?!?" We tried to share as often as we could - it was always well worth the loss of food to spend time with these folks.

I'm off to IHOP to print menus and my diatribe, er, briefing for the entire team for Sunday night. Later I help host a picnic for our incoming interns and students, then home for a good night's rest before I meet up with the rest of the advance team at 5 AM for our ride to the airport. Who bought these tickets?!?!!? Oh. Never mind. That was me.

No comments: