5.28.2004

the stage lights are getting brighter...

I did a fair amount of theater in high school. I didn't intend to. My sophomore year, I was tricked into reading for a part by an English teacher. That led to the discovery that "Hey, I can DO this!" Attending a high school where sports trumped everything, most of my experiences up until that point had not panned out so well...'nuff said.

I remember the feeling of standing in the wings as the lights came up on the stage and knowing that it was do-or-die time. The exhillaration of being commited to something that was about to happen (with me or without me) was unlike anything I'd experienced. The feeling returned this morning. This time I wasn't standing offstage behind a velvet curtain in a theater boasted basketball hoops at both ends...I was somewhere with the prophet Isaiah.

Isaiah 60 starts "Arise, shine, for your light has come, and the glory of the Lord rises upon you. See, darkness covers the earth, and thick darkness is over the peoples, but the Lord rises upon you and his glory appears over you."

The drama of all ages is unfolding. With us or without us, the story of all eternity commences. The Light rises. A crowd of witnesses like those mentioned in the book of Hebrews holds their breath. There are no walk-on parts. Each of us has a starring role.

Lord, beginning today, I recommit to the part You've cast me to play. I recommit myself to the lines. To the character. To the Director. To finding my mark. To the resolution of the conflict that is intrinsic to the plot of all time. On in 3...2....1....

No comments: