3.08.2004

This is not a good sign

I'm taking a short break to work through some home school stuff with the kids. What concerns me is that, while figuring 2/3 divided by 3, Jackson and I both intuitively figured it to 2/9, but neither of us can explain to anyone else how we got it. This does not bode well for us...because at some point, he's going to have to know how he (and I) arrived at the answer.

It reminds me of my dad...Dad used to build these elaborate contraptions that required precise geometric calculations to work. When I'd ask him how he figured out that he had to cut the angle at fifty degrees, he'd get irritated and say "I don't know...it just IS! Poor guy thought a protractor was something a pro farmer used. But when he was finished, the contraption almost always worked.

No comments: