3.01.2004

Radical trust, radical freedom...

I've been doing a little study on the concept of worry in scripture. I won't go into what got me started...suffice it to say that I have a friend who worries too much about things. Yea. That's the ticket. A friend.

Anyway, all through the Gospels, Jeuss plays the same card in response to worry: Don't. Additionally, He gives encouragement as to why we shouldn't worry...that our needs are always provided, that he loves us a father, etc. As often as it arises, one sort of gathers that he might be growing weary about the question, particularly when the worry is attached to so many temporal things.

I ran across a fairly chilling passage in Luke, and was struck that in the midst of the worst, we're still instructed not to worry about our pereived lack of concern on His part.

Luke 21:12-19
"But before all this, they will lay hands on you and persecute you. They will deliver you to synagogues and prisons, and you will be brought before kings and governors, and all on account of my name. This will result in your being witnesses to them. But make up your mind not to worry beforehand how you will defend yourselves. For I will give you words and wisdom that none of your adversaries will be able to resist or contradict. You will be betrayed even by parents, brothers, relatives and friends, and they will put some of you to death. All men will hate you because of me. But not a hair of your head will perish. By standing firm you will gain life.

There's something to this not worrying...there's a freedom in relying so intently on the provision of God, whether for finances, relationships, or strength. It all comes down to this: Do you want to be free?

I say yes.

No comments: