12.17.2003

The power of speaking...

We hear a lot about the power of the spoken word, both good and bad, but I don't know if I always understand it. I know I say things that probably hurt people much more deeply than I realize at the time, and I also know how hearing a kind word from someone can touch me. I think there's also an untapped well of potential in the words we say to ourselves.

As part of my normal morning routine, I've been reading aloud from The Book of Common Prayer. I'm not sure where my copy turned up, but about six months ago I found this little red hard back book on my shelf. I spend about 20 minutes reading from it most mornings, usually in responsive readings or Psalms. I find that saying these things out loud stirs up my faith in an unusual way.

This morning, I was reading Psalm 130 from it. I rarely read from the KJV, but portions of the scripture ring like poetry in the old version, particularly the Psalms. This particular Psalm closes with "O Israel, trust in the Lord, for with the Lord there is mercy, and with him is plenteous redemption." Only KJV. Eugene Peterson couldn't have pulled this one off. As daunting as "plenteous redemption" appears in text, it sounds wonderful. Say it. Go ahead. I'll wait.....

Plenteous redemption. Plenteous redemption. Experiment with emphasizing different syllables. PLENteous redemption. Plenteous reDEMPtion. Plenteous redempTION. Any way you say it, it sure sounds good. The more I say it, the more I enjoy it. The thought of a grace of plenty. Not a stingy, short-on-grace, long-on-punishment God, but one who loves us with plenteous redemption....a pile o' love...a constant cornucopia of kindness. Okay, I'll quit.

May your day be one of plenteous redemption.

No comments: