11.19.2003

It's O-Dark-Thirty and I've just finished preparing our November Newsletter for mail-out in the morning. No, I don't particularly like preparing a mailer in the middle of the night, but we've been busy and it just had to be. The house is quiet, allowing me a the time to listen to one of my all time favorites, Garrison Keillor.

I've mentioned him before in my blog - Keillor is one of America's greatest story tellers. Weekly on his radio program, he weaves the stories of an eclectic group of characters from the fictional Lake Wobegon, Minnesota. His show, a two hour variety show of music and drama, reaches it's climax wehn the music dies down and he starts in with his familiar "It's been a quiet week in Lake Wobegon, my hometown, out there on the edge of the prairie..." What follows is fifteen or twenty minutes of hillarity.

The story I heard tonight, though, was different. Oh, it had it's moments, like when the main character struggles with her inner drive to join a charismatic Lutheran church and go against her faith by buying a Chevy (Catholics drove Chevys...for the reason why, you'll need to listen). Very quickly, though, the story grows dark and serious. I can't say enough about this guy. Preachers should be made to listen to him to understand how stories are told.

To hear the story, go to this link: A Prairie Home Companion: November 15, 2003 and scroll down to section six. About 7 or 8 minutes into this section (Realplayer will let you fast forward), the story begins.

It doesn't end like you think it will...enjoy the news from Lake Wobegon, his hometown, out there on the edge of the prairie...

Good night, friends.

No comments: