3.17.2003

Small world - and getting smaller.

I received an email late this afternoon from blog reader Matt Siemer, tipping me off that Rachel Corrie, who was killed in the middle east yesterday, was also a Burning Man attendee. I called a friend at the BM offices in San Franscisco to see if they'd heard about it...they were looking at the same AP photo I was.

My heart's been heavy all weekend with the expectation of what is coming - in a military, social and spiritual sense. I am not a protester revisiting the simplistic slogans of the sixties. To the contrary, I think military action is exactly what is necessary to unseat the Huessein regime. Nevertheless, I think the situation is full of potential devastation - further terrorist action within our borders, for instance. War is never simple, and those who seek to make it seem as if it is are deceiving themselves.

I'm also dissappointed (although not surprised) at the international community's willingness to turn a blind eye to the regime's abuses of it's own people...Iraqis have seen torture, gas attacks, the abduction of leading intellectuals, and the ruin of their economy in pursuit of Huessein's goals...yet countries such as France announce that no mater what resolution the UN offers, they will veto it.

I'm glad the current crop of Euro-ninnies weren't in power in 1936 as Germany marched west. Perhaps they would think that we shouldn't have gotten involved in that affair either - after all, were the Jews worth going to war over? I believe the Iraqis are. This is as much a war of liberation as it is an insurance policy against a madman.

May we stay on our faces in humility. These are days like we have never seen.

No comments: